Clear all

Barton Shifter install and first impressions  

RSS

Warren Smith
(@wps007)
First Gear
May 16, 2017 6:42 pm  

Install:
All in all install went well, Barton Shifter only took about an hour sort of....Installing the right front pin took close to an hour the rest of the work under an hour...holy smokes what a pain.....found funny all the video's and write ups did not cover the right (passenger side) pin install, most likely the reason why is that i ended up having to bend up the floor pan to get it in, if I knew had to do that would most likely shyed away from buying. Possibly could have done from under the car BUT being lowered could not get a jack under the car. Having the consol and the stock shifter out no way to start and pull up on a ramp...after closely looking at one the videos it appeared they had bent up the floor pan, big crescent and a few healthy tugs created enough space and the pin just glided into place..and i pound the floor pan back down after pin slid in........If you have installed a new Shifter you know the right front pin i am referring too.
Driving impression:
First thru 4th gear are absolutely amazing, fast true positive sweetness no doubt. truly an amazing difference...5th and 6th shifts not so much, I have now got about 100 miles since installing the Barton.....Truly feel that much money all 6 gears should be sweetness.....I am getting used to it and I know who use's 6th gear BUT it should i feel have the same amazing flow as the first 4 gears....Downshifting 6th to 5th are ok...fourth down simply fantastic....
Final thoughts:
Am i glad i did it... hell ya....would i do it again... absolutely....Installing..... wish i thought to bend up floor pan earlier...do any damage or harm bending up and pounding down floor pan NO...just wish 5th and 6th where as impressive and 1st thru 4th..seat time may get it there...Oh one final thought... the Barton Shifter looks tough as hell...I love it

Rich
 Rich
(@rw99)
Fourth Gear
May 16, 2017 7:59 pm  

Great review, thanks, Warren.

Rich

ReplyQuote
B5 Red Eye
(@oj)
Third Gear
May 16, 2017 9:35 pm  

It's best to have a youngster put the right pin in while you slightly wiggle the fork. Or yes, put it in from underneath. Much more room for my big hand from underneath.

I think you'll get use to the shift idiosyncrasies. If you make sure your stick is adjusted straight up for 3-4, then you just pull over for 1-2 and push away for 5-6. 3-4 is your neutral go to. You can slip it into either of those two gears "like butta".

ReplyQuote
Warren Smith
(@wps007)
First Gear
May 18, 2017 4:40 pm  

Thanks will confirm the adjustment straight up 3-4 .....looking forward to more seat time this weekend

ReplyQuote
Ray Oslowski
(@soslowski)
President
May 19, 2017 9:56 am  

It will get a bit easier after some miles. I have almost 5000 miles on mine and it is getting smoother.

ReplyQuote
Warren Smith
(@wps007)
First Gear
May 20, 2017 6:36 pm  

re-adjust the shifter , put 50 miles today all in traffic putting around Sac, antelope area much better

ReplyQuote
Share: